Healthy Meals | Ready, Steady, Cook!
One of my favorite cooking shows growing up, was Ready Steady Cook. I liked it so much, that every so often I challenge myself to shop for food with a budget under 5euro/dollars and then to add a few pantry ingredients to make healthy meals.
Today I was out for a walk and I had $4 in my pocket and decided to see what I could get in Aldi. I got 500grams Pasta 65c, tinned tomatoes 60c, a tin of smoked Tuna 75c and some broccolini $1.49 so in total it was $3.49.
Here is the total ingredients list:
- 1 Tin of chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tin of smoked Tuna
- Fusilli Pasta (100g)
- Chicken Stock – half a litre
- Garlic Powder- 1 tablespoon
- Oregano – 1 Tablespoon
- Red Lentils – 2 heaped tablespoons (optional)
- Smoked Paprika – 1 Teaspoon
- Sugar to taste (Optional, depending on how acidic the tomatoes are)
- Cut off the broccoli tips and finely chop the stems.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packaging.
- Steam the broccoli above the pasta. 5-10 minutes to still have crunch.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped broccoli stems chicken stock, lentils, garlic and oregano to a shallow frying pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 mins to soften the lentils and thicken the sauce
- To serve, add the pasta to plate and add the tuna and garnish with the broccoli tips.
And there is still 400grams of pasta left in the bag.
** I’m in Australia at the moment so prices are in Australian Dollars.