My crispy potato cakes are a tasty way to use up leftover potatoes and they can be served with any meal at any time of the day. I love them for breakfast along with bacon, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Leftover mash potatoes
- Any leftover veg (optional)
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Plain Flour
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Oil & Butter for shallow frying
(The quantities really depend on how many potatoes you have and how big you want the cake to be.)
- Thoroughly mash the potatoes and the veg together.
- Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs on three separate plates for coating.
- Mix in the parmesan with the breadcrumbs.
- Take a palm sized amount and roll in your hand and flatten to create the cake.
- Coat the cake in the flour all over
- Then coat it all over in the beaten egg
- And cover in the breadcrumbs mixture all over
- Heat the pan with some oil and butter
- Shallow fry the cakes on medium/high heat for 2-4 minutes until golden brown on each side
- (The thicker the cake, the longer they take. So keep them slimmer to as not to burn the coating.)